Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Potpourri

Well, it's been almost a week since I last posted and it's amazing how many things can happen in a week.

First off, I was sick.  Sick as a dog sick.  I don't know if it was the flu, a cold or some other random virus but it knocked me down for the count.  I was completely miserable and pretty much housebound so ya, that was fun for my family.  Thankfully I started feeling remarkably better yesterday and today I feel pretty much good as new.  Phew!

During my sick days some happy things happened.  Paige brought home what she described as a "pretty good" report card and it turned out that it was an AWESOME report card.  She got onto both honor rolls, a feat that cost us an extra $10 in report card money.  Once again though, the part I love best about her report cards are the actual teacher reports stating what a hard worker she is and what a pleasure she is.  Sure, I love to see those A's and B's (or in the case of Biology 12 a C) but it always makes my heart swell with pride to hear what a wonderful girl she is.

On Monday she had her grad photos taken.  I got up early in spite of feeling wretched and spent 40 minutes curling her hair for the occasion.  All part of the mom duties.  And here's another special thing about Paige...she's so thoughtful.  Her cousin Aaron was having his photo appointment right before hers so she came up with the idea of them getting a couple of photos together to give to Gary's parents.  How neat is that?  They've never been terribly close in spite of growing up together but I love that they came together on this.  I can't wait to see how the pictures turn out!

In non-Paige news, on Sunday the four of us went to the woods to find a Christmas tree.  It was a gorgeous day for it and in spite of Paige and I not feeling well that day we all had a good time.  Before we hit the woods we hit the Starbucks.  My sweet Mom sent us a Christmas card in the mail that also contained a Starbucks gift card specifically for the four of us to use.  So hot beverages in hand, we drove to one of our favorite hunting spots.  Only this time we were on the lookout for trees.  Although Gary did bring his gun along and told us to keep an eye out for deer as well.  Here's something we learned about wild trees...they aren't very uniform and they look way smaller in their natural habitat than when you get them home.  Have you seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?  Ya, it went something like that.  We now have an enormous tree on our deck and can't decide whether we should try to trim it up or just go buy a tree as usual.  I'm leaning towards purchasing one. :)

On Tuesday Gary started his new 10-hour shifts.  Boy, was that weird for me when he didn't come home at 3 o'clock.  (It was also weird for me when he was home all day on Monday.)  I don't like change very much but I think that once I get used to this new schedule it will be the bees knees.

Yesterday, if you're on Facebook, you'll know that I had a baking disaster.  I found this super neat cake recipe on Pinterest called Zebra Cake.  (If you google Zebra Cake you'll probably find all sorts of photos of what they're supposed to look like.)  Long story short, my chocolate batter was thicker than my vanilla batter, both batters refused to cooperate in the pan and do what they were supposed to do and then the final insult was that the vanilla batter refused to bake all the way through.  When I thought the cake was done I stuck a toothpick in the middle and sure enough it came out clean.  Hours later when I went to serve it up for dessert, I discovered that huge portions of it definitely were NOT cooked so I stuck it back in the oven for 30 minutes.  Even with that extra time in the oven it refused to cook so I gave up.  I cut out all the uncooked parts and we sampled the rest which was quite delicious, I must say.  This will not be the end though.  I will conquer this cake.  I will not let a Zebra Cake get the best of me!

And that's basically the story of the last 7 days.  A potpourri of happenings, both good & bad.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I like.
Baking disasters are discouraging but I am like you and feel the need to conquer recipes.
I am still trying to perfect cinnamon buns!

o malley said...

pics please! I want to see the tree :)